A List Of 10 Intriguing Essay Topics On Victorian Literature For College Students
Here is a short, random list of ten highly informative and intriguing essay topics on Victorian literature for you to peruse and select. To garner your interest and help you decide on an intriguing topic for your assignment, this list gives a brief explanation or motivation after each topic is given.
Before you make your decision, it is imperative that you invest in an understanding of what Victorian literature is essentially all about and note the period it was written in.
- A Christmas theme – Charles Dickens – It’s that time of the year and what could be better than worming your way through A Christmas Carol.
- Where the modern-day political and family dramas originated – George Eliot – Find out how political and cultural intrigues and modern-day romances developed in Middlemarch.
- Getting away from it all – Thomas Hardy – In Far from the Madding Crowd, you can immerse yourself in rural settings which also has its own set of problems.
- Dark romance – Emily Bronte – It does not get any darker than in Wuthering Heights.
- A family writing compendium – The Bronte Sisters – Don’t confine you and wrap yourself around several of the Bronte sisters’ works, including their poetry.
- Adventure stories for boys and girls – Robert Louis Stevenson – Treasure Island has been enjoyed by most lovers of Victorian literature, young and old.
- Mysterious dream narratives – Lewis Carroll – Children love the story of Alice in Wonderland, but you could take this as an opportunity to learn how narratives are constructed around dreams.
- Coming of age stories – Mark Twain – Victorian literature is not confined to the British Isles. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are two all-American characters well worth studying.
- The king of horror – Edgar Allan Poe – Forget about Steven King, Poe is the master. There is only one way to find out. But, be warned.
- Between man and beast – Herman Melville – Particularly at US colleges, this text of Moby Dick remains high on the recommended reading list. With the phenomenon of global warming and climate change, as well as the reckless slaughter of endangered species, this text invites you to explore new possibilities.
This short ideas list has given many college students a realm of possibilities where writing critical and literary essays on Victorian-era literature is concerned. These ideas are also designed to stimulate the students’ interest in classical literature to complete effectively their assignments.