Picking Good Persuasive Essay Topics: Tips And Ideas
Persuasive essay writing is a major part of your English composition curriculum in school, often beginning as early as the fifth or sixth grade. In a persuasive essay, your goal is to convince your readers of an argument about a controversial topic. It’s important to make sure your paper has a logical structure, and to use relevant facts and data to back up your claims. When you’re planning your paper, you’ll want to:
- Choose a position on an issue.
- Do some research on the subject to gather information that you can use to support your argument.
- Find the most convincing evidence to use in your paper.
The first step in writing your persuasive essay is choosing a good topic. Because these kind of writing assignments are often very open-ended, it can sometimes be hard to figure out a topic. Here are a few things that you can consider:
- Find something you’re interested in. For a persuasive essay assignment, it’s important to choose a topic that’s controversial. It doesn’t have to be a hot-button political issue, but it should be something that many people disagree about. Writing about something you’re interested in makes the process a lot more enjoyable for you, and you’ll probably produce better work if you’re invested in the subject.
- Look to the news or current scientific research for ideas. Looking at current issues, whether it’s something sociopolitical or a debate about a topic in science, can be a great way to get started with finding the perfect essay topic.The internet is full of information and resources that you can draw on.
- Search the internet for lists of topic ideas.
If you’re still at a loss for finding a topics, here are a few examples that you might want to consider:
- The treatment of animals in factory farms is unethical and inhumane.
- The United States should elect a female president.
- Schools should teach students about safe contraception in sex ed classes, instead of focusing on abstinence.
- The United States should raise the minimum wage.
- The United States should implement a Universal Basic Income, which would be given to every adult citizen to reduce poverty and provide relief for unemployed individuals and their families.
- Schools should make a more active effort to prevent and reduce bullying, including verbal abuse and cyberbullying.
- Students would learn more effectively if school started later in the day.
- Parents should be allowed by their employers to work from home, so that they can spend more time with their children.