Fast Food Nation
Fast food refers to food that can be prepared and served quickly. It is ideal for a person working in this fast-paced world. Fast food nation is the term used for United States because research has shown that large number of people in US is involved in consuming fast foods on a daily basis. Hence this term highlights the global influence the food industry has on the United States.
Fast food is either available in the form of pre-prepared food in the supermarkets that can be reheated later. Or it is purchased readily at the restaurants and drive-through. It is convenient for lots of people in such a way that they do not have to take the time out of their lives to buy ingredients and prepare them at home. This all sounds very interesting but there are certain drawbacks to consuming fast food.
Disadvantages of Fast Foods
- Fast food is injurious to health because of the high level of sugar and fat it entails leading to obesity can lead to obesity in a person. Cooking oils used in fast foods make it very difficult for the body to digest the calories, hence creating fat in your body.
- High levels of cholesterol can create a blood clot in the arteries and high level of sodium consumed from fried food or sodas can increase blood pressure. Hence, both of them can be a leading cause of a heart attack or a stroke.
- Liver damage is also known as the potential risk to the fast food addicts since they are filled with trans-fat. This is an artificial fat that are made in such a way that premade foods can remain perched for a period of time before they are consumed. Later your body works to remove that trans-fat from your system and with this struggle, it can build in your liver and cause damage to it. This eventually leads to liver failure if not taken care of immediately.
- Apart from directly affecting the overall appearance of one’s body, fast food also deprives the person of a chance to enjoy food with family and friends, which is actually very important for one’s individual growth.
- It also has a negative impact on the environment because of the amount of resources required to produce fast food. It lessens resources in other parts of the world like the amount of water, grains or meat needed to produce these types of food, etc.
Apart from being very cheap and providing quick service, there really is no benefit of consuming fast food.